Dev Setup on macOS
I recently set up a macOS dev machine from scratch. This is my notes on the steps I took.
- Install 1Password
- Install Sublime Text
- Install Sublime Merge (seeing as we're downloading ST anyway)
- Install homebrew
Homebrew takes a while to install. Tick through the System Preferences in the meantime.
- Log in with Apple ID
- Appearance auto
- Hot corners bottom right puts display to sleep
- Move dock to left
- Auto hide dock
- Disable open animations
- Bluetooth show in menu bar
- Focus show in menu bar always
- A11y shortcuts show in Control Centre
- Clock no day of week or date
- Spotlight don't show in menu bar
- Require password 5 seconds after sleep or screen saver
- Turn on FileVault TODO
- Turn on Firewall? Is this going to be a pita?
- Disable personalised Ads
- Increase tracking speed until it feels right.
- Touchbar shows expanded control strip
- Press fn key to show emojis
- Customise control strip
- Disable some mission control shortcuts (ctrl + up/down)
- Set key repeat to max speed
- Shortcuts -> Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls
- categories - Applications, Calculator, Conversion, Folders,
- Set up Touch ID
# Show Library folderchflags nohidden ~/Library# Show hidden filesdefaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES# Show path bardefaults write com.apple.finder ShowPathbar -bool true# Show status bardefaults write com.apple.finder ShowStatusBar -bool true
Credit to taniarascia.com for these settings.
brew install \deno \firefox \git \google-chrome \gh \iterm2 \rectangle \slack \spotify \starship \visual-studio-code \volta \jq \kubectl
- Set as default browser
- Set duckduckgo as default search
- Disable any sponsored suggestions
- Open previous windows and tabs when starting
- Disable 'confirm before quitting with command+Q'
- Set language to English UK
- Set mailto links to 'always ask'
- Disable 'save logins and passwords'
- Enable https only
- I don't care about cookies
- Multi-Account Containers
- Nitter redirect?
- Privacy Badger
- uBlock origin
Grab dotfiles from m-allanson/dotfiles
- Install a 'nerd font'. I'm using a patched SF Mono "SF Mono Nerd Font" (instructions available here). Maybe try Hack next time?
- Get iceberg theme from https://iterm2colorschemes.com/
- Appearance -> Panes -> uncheck 'Show per-pane title bar with split panes'
- Profiles -> General -> Working Directory -> Reuse previous session's directory
- Profiles -> Terminal -> Set scrollback lines to unlimited
- Profiles -> Text -> Font "SF Mono Nerd Font"
- To enable text navigation with opt + arrow, and cmd + arrow
- Profiles -> Keys -> Key Mappings -> Presets -> Natural Text Editing
- cocopon Iceberg Theme https://cocopon.github.io/iceberg.vim/
- cocopon Iceberg Light Theme
- Disable telemetry
- Disable View -> Appearance -> Activity Bar
- Settings -> Editor: Font family, set to
'SFMono Nerd Font Mono', Zapfino, Menlo, Monaco, 'Courier New', monospace
- Move side bar right
- Disable minimap
- Docker (via Docker Desktop)
- Sync (sync.com)
- Grand Perspective
- Sort out SSH keys
- Apply licences to purchased software
- Add Fastmail contacts and calendar
- Configure backups
volta install node